Teachers as designers

I've never thought of myself as a designer.  Designers are people who make things, like cars and rockets and really expensive clothing that I can't afford.  But, after looking at the material we were assigned, and the discussions we had in class, maybe I see myself as a designer.  

Looking at the article, "Teachers as Designers," the three items that are discussed that are part of the design process for teachers; valuing empathy, becoming open to uncertainty and failure, and viewing teaching as design.  I feel like I've incorporated at least the first two concepts into my teaching.  I often tell my students that it's their education and that they should make sure it's the best education that they can get.  I often ask them their opinions about activities we do in class and I do class evaluations throughout the year.  

I also try new ideas and concepts each year.  It I've had many lessons and ideas that haven't worked, times when I've had my students stop what they're doing and moved onto something else.  I've also tried new things that have worked really well and my students have really enjoyed.  

The concept I struggled with was seeing myself as a designer.  Even though the article discusses how teachers are designers, and offers examples of teachers as designers, I am still having trouble wrapping my head around the concept.  Hopefully as a I dig deeper into this course, it will be become clearer.

Looking at the Sabertooth Curriculum, I thought of the square peg in the round who scenario.  As educators, we often think that because something has been done one way for so long, that there's no reason to change it.  I think on my high school history teacher who use the same overhead notes (they were written in Sharpie) year after year, because his students were quiet, compliant, and raced to write all the note in their notebooks (at least the ones who were still awake).  

I also thought of my daughter's school.  She is starting her junior year, and her school went 1-to-1 this year.  She's been frustrated, as six of her eight teachers have still had their classes traditional paper and pencil, with very little if any use of the computers.  She has new tools to "fish," but no one is showing her or allowing her to use them.

Comments

  1. I think you bring up a good point about the transition happening right now in our schools with the 1-to- initiative and the balance between digital and traditional teaching techniques as seen through your daughter's school experience. As a music teacher, I find it difficult to transition from not using sheet music and using a digital format in the classroom. I am hoping that through this program I can have some new tools and "designer" ways of looking at this issue and more to productively keep my curriculum relevant. I also am having some difficulty completely wrapping my head around the idea that I am a designer.
    I thought it was great that you gave multiple class evaluations throughout the year and that now has me thinking about doing the same to continually stay in touch with what my students are actually getting out of the course and how things can be improved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 1 to 1 initiative gives teachers a framework for re-thinking design. Is the design to use the tools available? What is the problem we are looking to solve? Without a framework or problem we are left to find our own----no guidance as to the purpose. I think this a struggle for many with the new 1 to 1 initiative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I think it is a good thing that our students now have access to technology, I personally do not feel that we as teachers have been successfully prepared to create innovative lessons using this new technology. There simply have not been enough PD opportunities for the general teacher population- at least that I am aware of. Playing devil's advocate here, I also think that not every good lesson needs to use a computer. There is much to be said for hands on work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment